Our current fees for tuition, instrument hire, band, orchestra and choir membership are detailed on the following pages. All pupils must be registered with TVMS in order to take part in any activity. We aim to deliver 30 small group or individual lessons per academic year. Lessons vary in length depending on the length of time your child has been having lessons. If your child receives individual tuition, our teachers will advise on the most suitable length of lesson.
Cost of lessons for pupils:
- Pupils new to music tuition are given ‘taster’ time with their chosen instrument/vocal tutor. This is subject to group viability and instruments available. During this taster time (minimum 5 lessons in two months) account holders can ‘opt out’ of the taster time and cancel any future lessons. Account holders wanting to cancel MUST write/email directly to TVMS Support (TVMS@TVMS.org.uk) to avoid future charges being applied as per the cancellation policy. Taster tuition (and instrument hire if needed) requires TWO fee instalments payable in advance.
- ‘Beginner’ Tuition applies only for tuition up to one year in small groups (4+) 20 minute lessons (including vocal lessons) – 11 monthly instalments of £15.60. This automatically follows on from the Taster time unless cancelled by account holders. See Cancellation Policy for further information.
- ‘Continuing’ Tuition for pupils from the second year onwards only (including vocal) small groups 30 minute lessons – 11 monthly instalments of £22.60. This automatically follows on from the Beginner Tuition unless cancelled by account holders. See Cancellation Policy for further information.
- ‘Individual’ Tuition only (instrumental or vocal) as an individual lesson (subject to availability) 20 or 30 minute lessons – 11 monthly instalments of £41.60. This lesson is delivered face to face when possible.
- ‘Paired’ Tuition only (instrumental or vocal) as a duo (subject to availability and teacher discretion) 20 or 30 minute lessons – 11 monthly instalments of £30.60. This lesson is delivered face to face where possible.
- ‘Adult’ Tuition only (instrument or vocal) age 18+ (subject to availability) – £46.60. This lesson is delivered face to face where possible.
- ‘Zoom Individual’ Tuition only (instrumental or vocal) as an individual lesson (subject to availability) 20 or 30 minutes lessons – 11 monthly instalments of £42.00. Equivalent to £15.40 per lesson. Digital lesson delivered remotely via Zoom or equivalent.
- Instrument hire monthly flat rate to be added to tuition rates (if hire required) – 11 monthly instalments of £8.40 after the initial free 3 month hire.
Membership of all TVMS bands, orchestras and choirs as well as access to Theory Lessons is currently included in the above tuition fees.
- Area band, orchestra and choir membership only – 11 monthly instalments of £8.40
- Premier ensemble membership only – 11 monthly instalments of £15.00
- It is not possible to hire a TVMS instrument for ensemble only membership,regardless of level.
Pupils eligible for Income Based Discount are entitled to a 50% discount to the above fees, including instrument hire and area ‘ensemble only’ membership. Remission discount does not apply to Premier ensemble only membership or Zoom Individual tuition and any hired instrument (if required).
A sibling discount of 25% will be applied to tuition fees if you have more than one child registered with TVMS. There is no discount on instrument hire or ensemble only fees for second and subsequent children. There is also a discount of 25% offered for second instrument tuition only. There will be no discount available for subsequent instrument/vocal tuition after this. There is no discount for Zoom Individual lessons or instrument hire.
All discounts are capped at 50% subsidy for account holders of pupils 18 or under and in education who are entitled to Income Based Discount of fees.
All tuition, instrument hire and ensemble-only registrations are charged at 11 monthly instalments per academic year.
Payment & Registration
Your annual music fee is paid in 11 monthly instalments from September to July each year for delivery of 30 lessons over the full academic year.
Instalments are due by the 1st working day of each month. By registering for tuition/ensemble membership you are agreeing to pay by the first working day of each month.
Initial registration can be made by registering online via our website www.tvms.org.uk/register for which you will need the teacher information from inside the ‘Introduction to TVMS’ leaflet. If you don’t have access to a computer please contact TVMS , where a form can be posted out to you. You can return your completed registration form to TVMS, Frederick Nattrass Centre, Swale Road, Stockton on Tees, TS20 1BY.
If you are joining part way through the academic year your fees will be reduced pro rata. You will be required to pay for the number of months you are registered in the remainder of that academic year. Instalments are paid over the remaining months up to and including July.
If your child has received their first year of Beginner Tuition an amended payment schedule for continuing tuition will be sent to you in due course.
Instalments can be made by debit or credit card online available 24 hours a day by logging into your secure account on SpeedAdmin https://ukteesvalley.speedadmin.dk/ Your login information will be sent to you once registration is complete.
We take payment by monthly DIrect Debit, and a Direct Debit Instruction is available on our website www.TVMS.org.uk/register select Direct Debit Form.
Instalments must be made by an alternative method until your Direct Debit is set up with your bank and confirmation of this received.
Our teaching staff will not take payment from you. Failure to pay by the above methods will delay registration and the start of lessons.
Payment can also be made by cheque or postal order. Ensure your child’s school and name is written on the rear of your payment as we will not be able to reconcile your account without this information. Please send cheques/postal orders to TVMS, Frederick Nattrass Centre, Swale Road, Stockton on Tees, TS20 1BY.
If you are entitled to Income Based Discount of fees you must download and complete a claim form and include proof of current evidence of entitlement. Claim forms can be downloaded at tvms.org.uk/register select Remission Criteria & Application Form. Full fees will be due until valid evidence is received. Claims cannot be backdated. Evidence of claims can be uploaded via your secure login when registering on SpeedAdmin https://ukteesvalley.speedadmin.dk/
If instalments are not paid by the due date, your child’s lessons will be discontinued until payment is made to bring your account up to date. Once this has happened you will be asked to register via your online account to enable lessons to restart.
Fees not paid will be actively recovered and referred to Stockton Council’s Legal Services. If legal proceedings are taken this may result in legal costs and expenses being added to the amount due. Should we obtain a court judgement against you this may affect your ability to obtain credit in the future.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
To cancel lessons without penalty, written notice must be received at TVMS Office by the following dates:
Autumn Term | 30th November
Spring Term | 31st March
Summer Term | 30th June
Payment will be due until the end of the term in which notice is received.
Lessons offered are recorded by teachers on an attendance list. If, at the end of the full year period September – July, we have not offered 30 lessons (pro rata if lessons commenced part way through year), we will credit your account with the number of lessons missed. We are only able to calculate if a credit is due at the end of the academic year in July, so your account will be credited before the end of August.
There is no refund for band, orchestra or choir fees.
Cancellation of Lessons/Membership/Instrument Hire
If you decide to stop your child’s tuition / band attendance within the year, you should contact the TVMS Office via email to ensure we update your account accordingly. You will continue to be liable to pay instalments until the end of the term in which we receive written notification from you.
Please email the TVMS Office to advise us of your decision to cancel tuition and ensemble membership by the following dates:
Autumn Term | 30th November
Spring Term | 31st March
Summer Term | 30th June
You will receive an email acknowledging your request and this acknowledgment should be kept for future reference. It is vitally important that you notify the TVMS Office as our teachers are not office-based. If you inform teaching staff we may not receive your cancellation instruction in time to action your account and you will continue to be liable for the full cost of lessons/membership/instrument hire until the end of the subsequent term in which we are informed in writing. We will contact our teacher and let them know about your decision. Please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can post a letter confirming the cancellation to TVMS, Frederick Nattrass Centre, Swale Road, Stockton on Tees, TS20 1BY.
If you cancel lessons and the target number of lessons have been offered, you will be required to pay your 11 instalments until the end of the academic year.
Lesson and memberships continue term-on-term and year-on-year until written notice is received at the TVMS Office.
Lesson Charges / Absence
If a lesson is not attended without giving at least 48 hours prior notice, or the absence is outside the control of TVMS, including suspended tuition, it will be included in the lesson count. Lessons missed due to TVMS teacher absence will not be charged for.
In the event of a long term absence of a TVMS teacher we will endeavour to cover the absence with another specialist teacher. Please note that it can sometimes take up to a month to organise this cover because we are committed to the local authority safeguarding procedures and all teachers working for us have to undergo DBS clearance and pre-employment checks before they can start work with us. We will monitor lesson numbers closely and amend fees accordingly at the end of the academic year.
Please note that if you decide to purchase your own instrument during the year, you need to contact TVMS office to ensure we update your account accordingly. You will continue to be liable to pay instalments for TVMS instrument hire until the end of the term in which we receive written notification from you, in line with the Cancellation and Refund Policy dates below:
Autumn term | 30th November
Spring term | 31st March
Summer term | 30th June
If the instrument is not returned to TVMS when tuition ceases, you will be liable for the full replacement value.
If you are registered for ensemble membership only, regardless of level, it is not possible to hire a TVMS instrument.
Instrument hire is available to those pupils registered for tuition with TVMS only via school whole class ensemble teaching.