The Snappy Christmas events took place over 5 dates this year and involved 69 schools from Stockton, Middlesbrough, Hartlepool and Redcar & Cleveland. More than 3000 pupils participated in the massed singing concerts where a medley of Christmas songs were performed to hundreds of parents.
This year, the Snappy Christmas concerts incorporated a theme into the festive celebrations. The theme was ‘Christmas across the Globe’ which included music from different countries. In keeping with this theme, pupils performed the first verse of Silent Night in German followed by the chorus and remaining verse in English as a call back to the Christmas Armistice when British and German soldiers played football on the battlefields of World War One.
Another new element added to the events was the involvement of unique instruments from different cultures, many of which are used in TVMS’ Yangchin group. Other highlights from Snappy Christmas 2017 were the Snappy Songs such as Bad Dog and Can you Imagine? These songs have been written, produced and distributed by Tees Valley Music Service with CDs now on sale at the TVMS Office for £5. All profits will go to the TVYO Tour to New York fund.
To end the event, children performed Feliz Navidad, the Spanish translation for Merry Christmas. in addition to singing in Spanish, pupils memorised accompanying choreography. Snappy Christmas is always well-received by parents and teachers alike, along with the pupils who participate in the event but this year garnered particularly high praise. Below are some comments we received on the TVMS Facebook page regarding Snappy Christmas:
- “Thank you for such a lovely afternoon. I know how much time it takes to put it all together. My daughter thoroughly enjoyed herself.”
- “It was absolutely amazing!”
- “What a fantastic event! The children were amazing and so well behaved, a credit to their schools and parents. The staff were fantastic too. Absolute magic!”
- “I thoroughly enjoyed this performance. Well done to all the children, teachers and TVMS. My daughter enjoyed participating and hopes to do it again next year.”
- “What a great concert. Possibly the loveliest Christmas event I’ve ever been too.”
Well done to every pupil who participated in Snappy Christmas 2017. A massive thank you to the schools and teachers as well as to the TVMS Staff who, without the support and dedication, Snappy Christmas would not be possible. And last, but by no means least, thank you to the pupils who performed and the audiences who attended the events. Your enthusiasm and support for music opportunities helps to reinforce a need for music activity in the Tees Valley.